Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life.

Life in the Village and beyond, based around the interests of my life. Sunset at Telegraph Point.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Quick and Dirty - A Low Mobile Work Table ..........

......... or ........ What To Do With Leftovers - Part 2

While I was working on the jelly cabinet, I bemoaned the fact that I didn't have a low work table and I had to do a work around.


At the finish, I pressed into service a mobile base that I had made for my sander.

This worked so well that I decided to knock up a larger version.

A quick rummage through the wood boneyard turned up a couple of pieces of thick particleboard - cutouts from laundry sink installations.  These pieces are often discarded by the kitchen bench manufacturers, and make marvelous tops for little jobs like this one.

Sadly, mine were too small to use as a single piece, so some biscuit joinery was called for, and some astute placement of supports in the construction.

A few other particleboard leftovers and some solid core ply discards, and the mobile low work table began to take shape.

It couldn't be simpler - it's just a long box, held together by glue and particleboard screws.


To the base I added some heavy duty castors,  choosing a lockable pair for the front to stop it drifting away when working on top of it.

These terrific wheels are available at most hardware stores, but there is a little family hardware shop in Wauchope that sells them much cheaper than the big B, and I like to shop there.

The wheels are the fanciest part of this project



OK - here it is - not pretty, but ever so functional .


This has been a great opportunity to clean out some shed detritus, create some extra storage, and make something useful to boot.

Before I finish, just a word on the way that time taken to carry out thoughtful layout pays dividends at the end.  You might remember the sidewalk chalk and the layout lines from the jelly cabinet project.
Here's a reminder:


Done carefully, it produces very little waste.
Apart from sawdust and shavings, this is what was left when I was finished:


Not bad eh?

Somewhere in my wood stack, there is a rattus - corpus delicti, that had the singular bad taste to hide before karking-it.  I cannot find the corpse anywhere, and life in the shed is decidedly unpleasant. Quite inconvenient really! Not too convenient for the poor old rat either I suppose!
Nonetheless, I won't be doing much in the way of shed-work for some time, at least until nature takes its course, and the odour dissipates.

In the meantime,  happy rites of spring to our northern hemisphere cousins, and happy first-full-moon of the season to everyone else   .......................................

................. and happy woodworking to all .................

No comments:

Post a Comment